Pages

2.15.2011

Spring Fever

For the past two days, a steady snow/rain drizzle has settled over the city, and the semi-warm, moist weather is getting me anxious for spring. It's been a long winter, and I'm ready to get out of the house. During this time of year, I always start to long for bright, sunny days full of chasing my children in the park and working in the yard. Of course, in practice, this doesn't always happen. But for me, even more so than the first of a new year, the beginning of spring signals a time for growth, change, and resolution.

My children, of course, are starting to share in my anxiousness to experience fresh air and sunshine again. The rumblings of restlessness started a few weeks ago, and now that we're occasionally able to venture outdoors for good lengths of time, it's getting worse. They're bouncing off the walls (and off of each other), and it's adding to my strong desire to get out of the house.

My plans for this year's springtime rebirth are twofold this year: truly dedicating myself to a successful garden, and truly engaging my two rowdy youngsters. It's time to get dirty as a family and inspire a love for the outdoors that will hopefully last them a lifetime. Our world is changing--and in many ways deteriorating--from our lack of respect for its resources. I'd like to impart this revelation to my children now so that their lives will be naturally molded to help counteract at least some of these ecological tragedies.

I'm hoping to truly engage my children in our outdoor adventures this spring. They are both getting old enough to understand and contribute to the gardening chores, and I can't think of a better way to sow a little bit of learning in with the dirt they love to play in. (Besides, with a brand new baby on my hip, I'm going to need all the help I can get!)

Here's to springtime, and my sincere hope that she wastes no time in arriving this year. This spring, we're planting seeds of change in our hearts along with the carrots in our garden.

Thinking about starting a garden of your own this year? This article inspired me, and led me to Root Simple and the blog authors' first book, The Urban Homestead. They've got some mighty extreme ideas about gardening and living a self-sustaining lifestyle, but don't feel like you need to tear out your entire lawn and buy a chicken coop. Just view it as a little friendly inspiration (and a lot of great advice) to help you figure out what works for you!

4 comments:

WitchyDarling said...

First, I am so happy to see you blog again! Don't know what tempted me to check it, but obviously there was a reason :D

I love your "New Spring Resolution." I hope you have an abundant garden this year.

<3

Rudri said...

Teaching your children to respect mother nature is an important gift to bestow on them. Hope you have much success in gardening. Nice to see your words again.

Blogging Common Team said...

Dear Blogger,

Please help us! We recently invited you to participate in an online survey run by the Berkman Center at Harvard University about your experiences and opinions as an active blogger. To the best of our knowledge, we have not received your response to the survey. You can participate in the survey by following this link:

http://new.qualtrics.com/SE?Q_SS=831uMw7mZJXUHaI_4Hp4lVv4k0EMdeI

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
The Blogging Common Team
Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
info@bloggingcommon.org

a li'l bit squishy said...

I too, am desperate for Spring to make it's appearance. So close now...